Saturday, November 3, 2007

Impulse Buying

I've gone to Funan the IT Mall on Friday afternoon, and had an impulse and bought a 2.5 inch 160gb portable hardisk called sQz(squeez) which is powered by an IDE Samsung hdd. That set me back for about S$169. The shop I bought it from is Fuwell.
I then proceeded to South Asia Pte. Ltd and bought myself a d-link router after having a discussion with the friendly sales person at the store. I finally decided on a mid-range N-router that had gigabit ports. However, currently my desktop PC at home does not come with a gigabit port, so I'm stuck with giga-bit speeds only for the notebooks and my living room media-PC to utilize.

Even though I'm still running at 100mbps instead of 1000mbps, I noticed a marked improvement in speed. Perhaps the CPU of the router is better. The model number of this router is DIR-655. I went to Dlink's website and noticed that there are newer firmware so I downloaded ver 1.05 firmware and updated the device. I also noticed that on the dlink US website, there is an even newer firmware v1.10 but is only application to US-sold models as compared to Singapore models. So I went to Singapore dlink web site http://www.dlink.com.sg to the my 1.05 fw, no luck with the 1.10 version yet.

Latest update: I had problems setting this router up with a Buffalo PCI 802.11G card on a PC with WPA personal. So I gave up and just set everything to no encryption (I guess performance will be good now ! ha). To secure the router from illegal access, I've added MAC address filtering. I wonder if there is a way to add email address in SSID so people can request access ! ha

No comments: