Sunday, March 6, 2016

The Double-NAT problem

I just realized that a MyRepublic Fiber plan account will create a Double-NAT problem.

What this means is the ONT device that connects to the fiber point, will already do NAT (Network Address Translation) once. That port is then connected to a wireless router (in my case an ASUS router).

So as usual, the ASUS router gives out NATed address in the range of 192.168.1.xxx

But when I observed what WAN address the ASUS router is getting, I get 172.22.23.230.

But I know my public IP address should be something like 103.252.xxx.xxx

What that means to me, is I cannot use the DDNS feature on the router. And there is no way I can get around it, unless i subscribe for a static IP address (which cost some money).


Anyone figured out how to prevent the 2nd NAT? Perhaps setting up the Asus router as a bridge or access point only? not as a router?

--- Update 7 Mar 2016 ---

There is no solution to the Double NAT problem, especially since I have no access to the Fiber box, cannot configure port forwarding nor DMZ.  So it would appear the best solution is pay My Republic $50 to get a static IPv4 address.







No comments: