Thursday, November 24, 2011

The quest for publication

Blogs are fine for rumblings and adhoc "tweet"-ing of stuffs we like on our blogs.  But blogs do not have the feeling that magazines usually invoke.  Something to do with the feeling of the flipping of the paper in your hand.

With the introduction of tables and mobile eReaders today, e-Magazines are starting to flood through to everyday consumers.  With the digital age, creating a magazine is no longer the sole proprietary rights of the professionals.  You and I can also create our very own e-Magazines for relatively low cost thanks to digital tools and services that are available today.

I've been just toying with the idea of creating such a "magazine" just for the fun of it.  My research showed that I may need the follow software tools to fulfill my desire :

1.  Photoshop - for manipulating images for the publication
2.  InDesign  -  for creating the eMagazine by exporting to ePub format or PDF.  The newer version 5.5 can even publish to iPad or mobile devices. Cool

3.  A repository to put my publications and to deploy to my fans and followers.  I have just started to look at Scribd and Issuu.

My research stopped here for now... I would like to poll to see what is everyone else doing out there... Are there better or cheaper tools ?  Leave a comment please.





No comments: